One of the girls at work asked me if I’d make a cake for her daughter’s birthday as she likes the goodies I bake and bring in. I agreed and started plotting. I found out that her daughter likes turtles (very good taste), so used that as my starting point. I was originally thinking of trying for a 3D cake, but didn’t have the right size cake pans to start with that, and on more thought I started thinking that much sugar was probably not a good idea for a little girl. So this time around I decided to go for something simple and make turtle cake toppers.
I decided on mudcake. Apart from it being delicious, Monika had mentioned she would like a chocolate cake and this is one that keeps well. Also, I could bake it Thursday night and decorate it Friday evening ready to be picked up Sat morning. First though to pick the recipe.
I’ve made a great one before (in particular a choc-mint one for Vicky’s 30th), but for the life of me I couldn’t remember what recipe I used, or even if I still had it. Some of my favourite recipes were unfortunately lost in the move here. So, on Thurs I baked a mud cake from the Donna Haye cook book I have. Of course I didn’t notice until I was making it how much flour was in it – or rather how little. It seemed this was a bit too much of a dessert cake and not really right for what I wanted. After it was finished baking, it was obvious that I was right, this cake wasn’t right.
So next plan, bake a different recipe and make the cake toppers on Friday night and decorate Sat morning. I got home early to get a good start on the cake. This time I picked the recipe that Vicky posted on her blog last year. Unfortunately I forgot to set a timer and by the time I realised, the cake had been baked for almost 30min too much. It wasn’t burnt, but I new that it would be too dry. Time to bake another.
Of course, by this time I was out of butter and eggs, and running out of chocolate. I had to stop at the shop to get some fresh strawberries anyway so off I went. First shop had no strawberries. This started a panic hunt as I had to go to several shops to find some. Finally I tracked some down and off I went home to bake again. Of course, in the hunt for the strawberries I forgot the butter so had to go and get some from the corner store. I was a little worried because I could only get salted butter. Gotta be worth a try. There was going to be a stack of sugar in the cake so surely that would offset the salt. So finally, 9pm and I’d collected the ingredients, time to bake the third cake – this time, setting an alarm.
Third time seemed to be the charm, yummy cake made and cooling on the counter. Alarm set for 6 am to put it all together. Crash time.
Next day an early start and a danish for breakfast saw me building the cake. Not a bad effort given it’s been such a long time since I did anything like this. Looked good enough to eat ..
And the turtles didn’t look too bad for a first attempt. Monika seemed happy too, so I’m counting the cake a success.