Oops, this was supposed to be posted last weekend, when I finished the last of the blocks I had precut. I’m still working sequentially by block number but I’ve missed three out. Blocks 3 and 35 are the ones with the applique basket handle, and I don’t have that template printed yet. I’ll probably save these blocks to the end. I’ve also missed out block 37, flower pot. And I’ve flagged a few more blocks to skip until the end. Not because they’re hard but simply for colour reasons. See, I have this idea that has become stronger as I’ve pieced these blocks. I really love the light and dark background blocks, but I like the other ones too. So my current plan is to do a quilt made predominantly off dark and light background blocks. Imagine a diagonal line dividing the quilt in half. On one half, you have the dark background, one the other, the light. And scattered through both sides are the different colour combo blocks. How many of these “alternate” blocks will be needed to look good, I’m not sure. I know how many I currently have and I’m flagging blocks as possible alternates, then as I pass the 100 blocks made mark, I can finalise colour decisions.
But for now those last 5 blocks I finished sewing last weekend…
And yes, I completely changed the layout of block 33, farmer’s puzzle. I know that historically the swastika was not an evil symbol, and used to appear in quilts all the time. But for the same reason that it disappeard from use in quilts after the Nazis comandeered the symbol, I don’t want it in mine. But I like the way I rearranged the pieces to get an acceptable block.
This puts me at 35 blocks, so just over 30% complete. If you only count the piecing and not sashing the blocks together or quilting the quilt. Which I’m not, so 30% done
I’ll now be taking a break from this. I should give Nicki a chance to pick hers up again. Plus I have to move house in 4 weeks. So I’ll probably stick to knitting for the rest of the month and pick this and moonglow up again in my new home.